Virginia Board of Education
The vision of the Board of Education and Superintendent of Public Instruction, in cooperation with their partners, is to create an excellent statewide system of public education that derives strength from our diversity and that ensures equality of opportunity for each student in a safe and healthy learning environment that prepares all students to be capable, responsible, and self-reliant citizens in the global society.
The mission of the Board of Education and Superintendent of Public Instruction, in cooperation with their partners, is to develop policies and provide leadership that improve student achievement and prepare students to succeed in postsecondary education and the workplace.
The main duties of the Board of Education include:
- Setting statewide curriculum standards;
- Establishing high school graduation requirements;
- Determining qualifications for classroom teachers, principals, and other education personnel;
- Establishing state testing and assessment programs;
- Establishing standards for accreditation of local school divisions and preparation programs for teachers and administrators;
- Implementing the No Child Left Behind Act and administering federal assistance programs; and
- Developing rules and regulations for the administration of state programs.
The Board of Education consists of nine members appointed by the Governor, subject to confirmation by the General Assembly. Members are appointed to serve a term of four years. No member shall be appointed to more than two consecutive four-year terms.
Goals for Public Education in Virginia: 2012-2017
Goal 2: Rigorous Standards to Promote College and Career Readiness
The Board of Education will continue to raise the bar on academic performance standards to ensure global competitiveness. Our schools will lead the nation in rigor and quality, and our students will excel in postsecondary education and/or in the global workplace. Building on the success of the Standards of Learning (SOL) program, more rigorous and relevant expectations will continue to be implemented that meet or exceed national and international benchmarks for college and career readiness. Particular emphasis will be placed on supporting the attainment of literacy and mathematics skills for all students, pre-K through grade 12.
Goal 3: Expanded Opportunities to Learn