Architecture Internships Abroad
Discover the mechanics of the Summer Olympics Stadium in Beijing: the Bird's Nest!
- Top Destinations: China, Australia, UAE, Italy, India
- Employment in architecture is projected to grow faster than the average for all occupations through 2020.
- Architects earned median annual earnings of $73,340 in 2011.
Types of Architecture Internships
Commercial/Institutional Architecture: Most architecture internships abroad will be at firms that specialize in commercial and institutional design projects. This type of work will require you to conduct research, analyze structural limitations, and gain an understanding of the more specific mechanics of construction. Some possible projects include designing company office buildings, malls, or schools.
Landscape Design: Landscape architecture internships will give you the opportunity to assist in the design and implementation of various landscape projects as well as administrative work. Landscaping differs greatly from traditional structural architecture design, as contractors must consider several environmental aspects and use vastly different materials for construction. Landscape architecture interns tend to be more fascinated by the artistic aspect of design and interested in beautification.
Historical Preservation: Architects are not constantly designing new infrastructure; in fact, most of the historical buildings you have been renovated by modern architects to be preserved. Thanks to these architectural efforts, buildings that were constructed hundreds or thousands of years ago are still relatively undamaged and intact for future generations to enjoy.
Top 5 Places for Architecture Internships
The location of your architecture internship will very likely determine the type of work you will be doing. Interns in modern, developed countries in Europe might be working in a large private architecture firm whereas interns in more rural developing countries may be designing basic infrastructure literally from the ground up. If you aren’t sure where to go for your architecture internship, travel to these popular destinations around the world for a great international work experience!
- China: Since the construction of the Beijing National Stadium, or “Bird’s Nest”, during the 2008 Olympics, architecture has become a booming field in China. In a country that is still rapidly developing and taking the modern world by storm, countless building projects are underway. Architects and designers from around the world meet in China to collaborate, share ideas, and jump aboard the next hot design project. In fact, many Chinese architecture firms are specifically keeping an eye out for foreign talent to bring in a new and unique perspective to their design concepts. Finding an architecture internship in China is a fantastic way to immerse yourself in a creative design atmosphere, learn from seasoned architects, and set yourself apart from others.
- Italy: With Brunellschi’s Duomo in Florence, Villa Farnese in Caprarola, Saint Mark’s Basilica in Venice, and the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Italy is filled with beautiful architectural wonders. A prime location for aspiring architects, the cities and villages are a major inspiration for new projects or historical renovations. The architectural trends of the past and present are so dominantly represented in various parts of the country that any architectural style is welcome. If you are interested in learning more about architecture while living in a world center for artistic and cultural exchange, go to Italy!
How does the Leaning Tower of Pisa. lean? Go to Italy to learn about it hands-on!