We offer summer and annual internships in many of our pharmacies. Our pharmacists will help you train to be a future community practitioner. Our internship program is designed to prepare students for the current and future realities of patient care in a rapidly changing health care environment.
A Pharmacy Internship will give you practical skills above and beyond your classroom experience. Depending on the location, intern learning goals may include:
- Develop interpersonal skills in relating to colleagues and patients and provide a high level of patient care services.
- Assess pharmacy practice conditions and recommend any necessary changes.
- Apply the concepts of Pharmacy Care in a variety of community settings.
- Understand how disease state management services can be implemented in a community pharmacy setting.
- Provide drug information and education to patients, caregivers, and other health care professionals.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of a flu vaccination clinic, as well as cholesterol, diabetes, or bone density testing or other specialty pharmacy care programs.
- Learn broader aspects of pharmacy management and its contribution in a grocery retail setting.
Our internship program is intended for those students interested in employment with Safeway as a pharmacist following graduation. To apply for an internship, you must be enrolled in a pharmacy school program and have fulfilled any state board of pharmacy licensing requirements.
Pharmacy Student Education Assistance Programs
Safeway provides financial assistance for pharmacy school students who are interested in working as licensed pharmacists for Safeway upon graduation. Amounts vary based on desired work location and employment standing.
Pharmacy Experiential Education Program
Safeway is proud to offer opportunities for introductory (IPPE) and advanced (APPE) pharmacy practice experiences. If interested, please connect your school’s experiential education coordinator with the appropriate regional pharmacy manager or recruiter, contact information for whom can be gained at the Safeway store in your desired location.
If you are a graduating or graduated pharmacy student, we are excited to have you launch your career at Safeway. We encourage you to explore our current list of opportunities. In some areas, we offer graduate internship hours until licensure.